|Home||History Index||Tour||Early||Rumpus!||19–20 Cent||Recent||Nave & Chancel
|The bells||Clergy||Simeon Trustees|
|For information about the church community that meets here please visit www.stpeterscolchester.org|
Against the west wall is a set of bookshelves on which is a small plaque which reads
IN MEMORY OF
Born 24th March 1927
Died 22nd August 1955
The shelves were made in the Gilberd Technical School, which at the time was almost opposite the Church in North Hill, where the Sixth Form College now stands. The shelves are in front of a large tombstone that has been set into the wall, and on which only part can now be read. At the top it reads:
HERE LYE THE BODYS
OF FOVR SONNS AND AS
MANY DAVTERS OF
Most of the rest of the inscription is hidden behind the bookcase, but the cupboard at the base conceals the end of the inscription, which reads:
MARY POTTER THEIRE MOTHER
BURIED MARCH 18__
Also on the west wall of the North Aisle, a tombstone has been set into the wall at the bottom of the stairs to the gallery. It reads:-
Here lyeth the body of
JOHN FREEMAN Gent
Who departed this life
the 20th October 1714
In ye 56th year of his age
Likewife five of his children
Are buried Here
here also Lieth ye body of
DOROTHY Wife of JOHN
FREEMAN who died Oct 8 1735
Her age is obscured by the stairs to the 1758 gallery.
Beneath the stairs another tombstone has been set against the wall, but it has become much worn in places and is now only partly legible. The letter "N" has been carved backwards.
Here Lyeth the Body of
Io____ S_IE_EMAN Gent. Sometime
M___r of this Town He married ALICIA
Daughter of Capt HENRY LAMB by
whom he had one Sonne & 5 Daughters
which Sonn died and was buried at
_____________________ behind him 4 Daugh
of the __________________ Anno Domi 1699
Ac___ Sue 53
Nearby is memorial to several generations of the Wright family.
IN A VAULT BENEATH LIE THE REMAINS OF
ELIZABETH WRIGHT, WIFE OF
WHO DIED FEBY 14TH, 1803, AGED 69 YEARS
ROBERT WRIGHT THEIR SON
WHO DIED DECR 24TH, 1803, AGED 29 YEARS
GEORGE WRIGHT THEIR SON
WHO DIED OCTR 8TH, 1812, AGED 41 YEARS
JANE WRIGHT SECOND WIFE OF
WHO DIED JULY 12TH, 1813, AGED 51 YEARS
GEORGE MASON WRIGHT
SON OF THE ABOVE GEORGE WRIGHT
WHO DIED SEPR 26TH, 1814 AGED 8 YEARS
SUSANNA WRIGHT WIFE OF THE
ABOVE GEORGE WRIGHT
WHO DIED APL 25TH, 1817, AGED 45 YEARS
WHO DIED NOVR 12TH, 1819 AGED 77 YEARS
Between the next two windows is a plaque listing some of benefactions made to the church, which demonstrates the way the value of money has changed over the centuries.
|Jeremiah Daniell, by will dated 26th Octr 1696|
|Left £3 a year to be given in Coals to the poor of this Parish.|
|John Moore, by will dated Novr 10th 1809 left £200|
|the yearly interest to be given to the poor of this Parish in|
|coals, bread &c (N.B. This legacy produced only £82.15.2 Consols)|
|John Mills, by will dated Feby 6th 1822 left £5 a|
|year, half to be given in money & bread to 12 poor|
|widows, the rest to the Sunday School, &c,|
|Mr Francis Henry Wyncoll who deceased|
|January 21st 1931 left £500. to the Vicar and|
|Churchwardens, for the purposes of the Church.|
Three memorials are to be found between the next two windows, and the first reads
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
BORN 3RD FEBRUARY 1865
DIED 13TH AUGUST 1949
WHO WAS ORGANIST AND
CHOIRMASTER OF THIS
CHURCH FOR 42 YEARS
FROM 1888 TO 1930.
Let everything that hath
breath praise the Lord
The second is strangely phrased, and reads
|Near this Place|
|are deposited the Remains of|
|who died 25th of August 1788|
|Aged 73 Years.|
|Also of ESTHER ANDREWS|
|who died 25th of January 1793|
|Aged 49 Years|
|Also of THOMAS ANDREWS Esqr|
|Son of the above ANN ANDREWS|
|and Husband of ESTHER ANDREWS|
|who died 17th of January 1815|
|Aged 74 Years|
|Also of REBECCA HEWITT ANDREWS|
|Widow of the above|
|THOMAS ANDREWS Esqr|
|who died 13th of November 1843|
|Aged 79 Years|
|They were Beloved and Respected|
|by all that knew them|
|The Affection and Gratitude of their|
|furviving Relations caused this Tablet to|
|be erected in their Memory|
The third and final memorial between these two windows has the text carved onto a stone representation of a sail from a square rigged ship, the sail hanging loose as if becalmed.
IN MEMORY OF
HERBERT CONRADE WIRE
LATE THIRD OFFICER
OF THE PENINSULAR AND
STEAM SHIP “CADIZ”,
WHO WAS DROWNED DURING
A GALE OF WIND IN THE CHINA SEA
ON THE 27TH JULY 1860
IN THE GALLANT DISCHARGE
OF HIS DUTY
AGED 22 YEARS.
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED
BY THE PASSENGERS AND OFFICERS
OF THE SHIP AT THAT TIME
TO COMMEMORATE HIS MANY NOBLE
QUALITIES AND RECORD THEIR
GRIEF FOR HIS LOSS
“TRUST AND FEAR NOT”
Continuing to move eastwards, there are four memorials between the next two windows. At the centre of the space is one that reads
IN MEMORY OF
ANNA AMELIA THE BELOVED WIFE
OF JOSEPH HOARE ESQRE
OF WEST HEATH HAMPSTEAD
IN THE COUNTY OF MIDDLESEX
AND ONLY DAUGHTER OF THE LATE
CHARLES BUXTON ESQRE
WHO DIED ON THE 19TH OF JULY 1843
IN THE 29TH YEAR OF HER AGE
“WE ARE COMFORTED FOR THOU ART BLEST”
Above and to the right is a stone which reads
IN MEMORY OF
The Rev WILLIAM SMYTHIES
LATE VICAR OF THIS PARISH
BURIED NOV 5TH 1780
ALSO ANNA DOROTHEA HIS WIFE
BURIED SEPT 5TH 1777
Below and to the left of centre is a brass of 1572 in three parts. At the top is a coat of arms, and below are shown William Brown kneeling at prayer, with six sons behind him, and facing him his wife Margaret and two daughters, also at prayer. The inscription below is very difficult to read, and is headed by a verse in latin.
Quos thalamus, quos junxit amor, conjunxit eodem
En tumulo gnatus cum genetrice patrem.
Felices animo, fortuna, corpore, quantum
Terrena id fieri condicione potest.
Unum aberat coelum, quo mentes ante volarunt.
Supremum expectant offa animanda diem.
here undre lyeth buryed the bodies of William Brown gente, and Margaret his
wyfe, which William deceaffed on the xx daye of january ano domum 1572 and the
faid margaret xxiiii daye of september next following
In the lower right is another memorial in brass which depicts two men and a woman kneeling in prayer. Behind them are four sons and five daughters. The inscription beneath is in gothic script and reads:
Agnes the Daughter of John Woodthorpe borne in Laven=
ham the wief firft of Aleyn Difter and after of Robert Leache
departed this world in the yere of our lord God. 1553. her ver=
tuouis lief and converfation was commendable amongest her
neighbours, and thankfull to almighty God, of whome we truft
fhe is nowe accepted/ She did appointe certen money to be given
yerely to the poore of this parifhe at the feaft of Penthecoft, that
they fhulde render thanke unto Chrift, and kepe his gratious
benefitt in memory for ever.
Between the last window and the east wall of the north aisle is one memorial
to the Memory of
ROBERT SELBY CUNNINGHAM
late a Lieu. in the 4th Regt of Foot
who died 28th Septr 1809
Aged 24 Years
On the east wall of the north aisle there are three memorials. High up, level with the gallery, is a huge memorial to the Sears family, installed in 1858, through the agency of Horatio Gates Somerby, a genealogist employed by Mr David Sears. It is surmounted by an oval escutcheon, at the top of which is a carved scroll bearing the words SAINT PETERS CHURCH. Below is a plinth supporting an heraldic helmet, supported by a Knight in armour on one side, and a figure on the other which may be a native north American, complete with bow. The plinth bears the family names thus—
RICHARD SEARS, IN LINEAL DESCENT FROM
RICHARD SAYER, AND ANN BOURCHIER KNYVET
DRIVEN BY PERSECUTION FROM HIS NATIVE LAND,
SOUGHT REFUGE AMONG THE PILGRIMS IN HOLLAND;
HE UNITED WITH THEM IN THEIR BOLD ATTEMPT
TO FIND A HOME AND A COUNTRY IN THE NEW WORLD,
LANDED AT PLYMOUTH, IN 1630,
AND DIED IN NEW ENGLAND IN 1676.
KNYVET SEARS ELDEST SON OF RICHARD BORN IN 1635
VISITED ENGLAND IN 1686, AND DIED THERE IN THE SAME YEAR
IN THE HOUSE OF HIS AFFLICTED RELATIVE.
REQUIESCAT IN PACE.
THIS MEMORIAL, SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF KNYVET SEARS
AND DEDICATED TO THE EXILED FAMILY
WAS INSCRIBED BY CATHERINE HARRIS IN 1687.
Below this memorial are two others, the right hand one is to Richard sayer and reads:
HERE LYETH THE BODY OF RICHARD SAYER GENT.
WHO WAS BVRIED THE 7TH DAY OF SEPTEM 1610.
HE HAD TO HIS FIRST WIFE AILSE SPOONER BY
WHOM HE HAD ISSVE ONE SONN, & TO HIS SECOND
WIFE ELLEN LAWRENCE, WIDDOWE, BY WHOM
HE HAD ISSVE ONE DAUGHTER NAMED IANE.
BYRTH, LIFE, AGE, DEATH FOVRE BLESSINGS FROM ABOVE,
HE HATH POSSEST, TRUE TRYALL OF GOD'S LOVE,
BYRTH GENTLE, LIFE SOBER, AGE FVLL FOVRSCORE YERE,
DEATH LAMBE-LIKE, MILDE, WITH CONSCIENCE GOOD & CLEAR,
HEAVEN HATH HIS SOVLE, THE WORLD GOOD NAE HOVGH SORY
YET IOY HIS LIFE IS CHANGED FOR ENDLESS GLORY.
The third memorial on this wall is near the door to the Vestry and it reads:
In memory of
Henry · Griffin · Deane
Died Feb 3rd 1887
and of Harriet, his wife
Died Jan 15th 1898
who bequeathed £13350 to the Governors
of Queen Anne's Bounty for the augmentation
of the maintenance of the Vicar of St Peter's
Colchester, and for no other purpose whatsoever.
In grateful acknowledgement of their munificence
this tablet is erected by the first beneficiary
C. Triffit Ward M.A. Vicar
There are very few memorials in the south aisle, and there are none at all on the western wall. However, the bookstall bears a dedication which reads:
In Memory of
Mrs F Miriam Clark
(1892 - 1974)
Commencing from that end of the building, the first memorial is located between the second and third windows.
IN MEMORY OF
LIEU. OF THE ROYAL ARTILLERY
WHO DIED MARCH 16.1798
AGED 18 YEARS
Between the third and fourth windows is a brass recalling the death of John Sayer in 1509 and his wife Elizabeth in 1530. It may be the oldest monumental record in town, and shows a man, wife, four sons and one daughter in the attitude of prayer. Beneath is written:
In this yle and neare unto this place are buryed the bodyes of John
Sayre, sometyme Allderman of this Towne of Colchefter and Eliza=
beth his wyfe which faid John dyed the xiij day of February in the yere
of our Lorde God m ccccc ix and which faid Elizabeth dyed the xxvij
daye of Aprill in the yere of our Lord God m ccccc xxx
Between the fourth and fifth windows a more recent memorial to the same family, put there in 1851, but on which the latest date is 1830. This brass is divided into three columns, with the copies of the memorials on either side. The central column is headed by a coat of arms bearing the mottoes "EXALTAT HUMILES" and "HONOR ET FIDES". Beneath is repeated the motto "Exaltat humiles" and the following:
An explanation for this plate is given along the bottom edge:
ON GRANITE MONUMENTS IN THE GRAVEYARDS OF YARMOUTH, AND CHATHAM,
IN MASSACHUSETTS, NEW ENGLAND, IN NORTH AMERICA, ARE THE ABOVE INSCRIPTIONS TO THE
MEMORY OF THE DESCENDANTS OF THE SAYERS OF ALDHAM, AND COLCHESTER. 1830.
At the eastern end of this aisle is located the
internal porch for the south door, and in this corner is located the memorial to men of the
Essex Yeomanry and Royal Horse Artillery who died in the 1914 and 1939 wars.
At the end of 2001 the Essex Yeomanry Association disbanded and St Peters PCC accepted responsibility for maintaining this memorial.
The memorial itself consists of a simple wooden cross in which is carved
ESSEX YEOMANRY AND Y.H.A. with, at the centre, the motto DECUS ET TUTAMEN
around the three seaxes (curved swords) of Essex. It is contained within a glass case on which is mounted
a metal flower holder bearing the letters E Y.
On the wall nearby is a case containing a flag. This bears a label reading:
"Flag of the Essex RHA battery carried in the Palestine campaign 1916/18"
Presented 1956 by the widow of Colonel W.A.B Daniell CBE DSO TD one of the battery commanders at that time.
Next to it used to be another case which had painted on the outside ROMANI GAZA DAMASCUS JERUSALEM
and a label that read:
Regimental flag of the 191st (Herts & Essex Yeomanry) field regiment R.A. which was damaged by shrapnel at Herouvillette in July, 1944, during the Normandy campaign. The flag was donated by Brigadier M. Hope, DSO who commanded the regiment in Normandy
In February 2004 this was stolen. We would like to recover this flag and its case, and if you are offered it or come across it, please contact either us at St Peters or the relevant authorities.
On the east wall of the south aisle is the memorial to John Sayers, which depicts the deceased kneeling with both knees on a small cushion, his hands held together indicating that he is at prayer. He is dressed in an elaborate Elizabethan costume with a ruff collar and a cloak. Before him is a small table or altar which is covered with a cloth and on which a prayer book or Bible lies open. Above is shown the his coat of arms, and he is in a church building which has pillars and a chequerboard tiled floor. There is a slight mystery surrounding this memorial: it dates from 1563, but the wall to which it is attached was not built until around 1815-17, meaning it has been moved. An 1803 record of church memorials places it against one of the pillars, and opposite the memorial to John and Elizabeth Sayer, further west in the same aisle. The inscription informs us:
John Sayers bodye lyeth enclofed here in Grave,
Whofe ghoft the heavens do poffeffe, whofe fame on earth we have,
His lyfe and eke his death with good report he paffed,
And nowe he (doubtles) doth enioye, the lyte that aye fhall laft,
When fyftene hunideth yeares, and sixtie three were fpent
From Chryft hys byrth accoumpted juft, from payne to joyes he went.
he dyed in Ano Dm 1563
|Nave & Chancel memorials||Floor Memorials|
©St Peter's PCC, A.D.2017